In 2007, together with firm partner, Simon Paris, Patrick Howard established the Saltz Mongeluzzi Barrett & Bendesky’s Class Action Practice Group. Over the past decade, in courthouses around the country, Mr. Howard has successfully represented consumers, businesses, and municipal entities in class action litigation stemming from consumer fraud, false advertising, product liability and antitrust violations.
After successfully recovering more than $6 million for a group of elderly investors who were defrauded in a Ponzi scheme, United States District Court Judge Christine M. Arguello lauded Mr. Howard’s efforts in obtaining an outstanding recovery for the class in high risk litigation, stating “I will have to say that in this case, I really believe that Mr. Howard did an excellent job of representing the interests [of the class] and doing it efficiently.”
- Underwood v. Kohl’s Dep’t Stores, Inc., No. CV 15-730, 2017 WL5261535, at *4 (E.D. Pa. Nov. 13, 2017) (defeated summary judgment and obtained class certification in favor of consumers who paid for worthless credit card add-on product)
- Ajose v. Interline Brands, Inc., No. 14-cv-01707 (M.D. Tenn.) (Chair of lead counsel committee in product defect class action resulting in a $16.5 million settlement)
- Standard Iron Works v. U.S. Steel, No. 08-cv-5214-JBZ (N.D. Ill.) (counsel to lead plaintiff, Standard Iron Works, in antitrust class action against world’s largest producers of raw steel; $166 million settlement)
- Trabakoolas v. Watts Water Technologies, Inc., et al., No. 12-cv-01172 (N.D. Cal)(lead counsel in product defect class action resulting in $23 million settlement).
- Touchstone Group, LLC v. Tatum, LLC, et al., No. 11-cv-02971 (D.Col.)(co-lead counsel in securities class action resulting in $6.05 million settlement on behalf of victims of the Mantria Corp. Ponzi Scheme)
- In re Apple In-App Purchase Litig., 11-cv-01758 (N.D. Cal.)(co-lead counsel in highly publicized litigation against Apple for the sale of deceptive apps sold to children. Nationwide settlement achieved offering full refunds to consumers)
- In re Riverwalk Fire Litigation: $36 million settlement in a class action suit involving a Conshohocken, Pa., apartment fire, including $9 million for tenants’ lost property claims ($36 Mil. Agreement Reached in Montco Apartment Fire – Riverwalk)
- In re Optical Disk Drives Litigation, No. 10-md-2143-RS (N.D. Cal) (counsel to named plaintiff, JLK Systems, in antitrust litigation against manufactures of optical disk drives; $37.9 million settlement)
- In re Blood Reagents Antitrust Litig., No. 09-md-2081 (E.D. Pa) (Counsel to lead plaintiff, Community Medical Center, in antitrust litigation against manufactures of traditional blood reagents; $44 million settlement).
- Pennsylvania, 2001
- New Jersey, 2001
- Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Middle District of Pennsylvania
- District of New Jersey
- District of Colorado
- Third Circuit
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, 2001 – Dean’s Honors.
- Mr. Howard was a member of the school’s moot court board and participated in the Robert Wagner National Labor and Employment Moot Court Competition.
- University of Scranton, B.S., 1998
- Major: Political Science and History
Participating in the Philadelphia Volunteers for the Indigent Program, Mr. Howard provides free, or pro bono, legal representation to impoverished individuals. The Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas recognized Mr. Howard on its Pro Bono Roll of Honor for his exemplary pro bono work.
Appellate Clerkship, 2001-2002, The Honorable Peter Paul