My clients only have one case. Losing isn’t an option and they need lawyers with a proven track record of winning.
Jeffrey P. Goodman
Jeff is a relentless advocate for his clients, known for his creativity in the courtroom.
- $265,000,000Settlement was reached in the May 2015 Amtrak Train No. 188 derailment in ...Read Story
- $227,000,000$227 million in damages will be paid to the 19 plaintiffs—including the ...Read Story
- $150,000,000$150,000,000+ settlement in connection with a major transportation ...
- $48,000,000Confidential settlement in connection with a factory explosion.
- $17,000,000In 2010, two Hungarian students drowned and twelve others were injured ...Read Story
- $16,300,000An ironworker whose right leg was amputated and left foot crushed when a ...Read Story
Jeff is a trial lawyer who focuses on complex and high-profile cases around the globe. Currently, Jeff leads the charge on behalf of the victims of the Grenfell Tower Fire in London in litigation pending in the United States and is on the front lines of the fight for victims of high-profile boating disasters in California and Missouri. He is also taking on meatpacking plants throughout the United States for their failures to provide adequate safety protection during the COVID-19 pandemic. In addition to representing victims of these tragedies, Jeff is a national presence in the insurance disputes that have arisen during COVID-19 which have impacted business owners throughout the country. He is based out of SM&B’s Philadelphia office; however, his unique cross-border litigation experience leads Jeff to routinely represent clients throughout the United States and internationally.
As an advocate, Jeff is aggressive, fearless, and relentless. He is known for his creativity in the courtroom. Outside of trial, Jeff is renowned for his unique ability to navigate the strategic complexities of mass litigation that involves often hundreds of victims.
Since joining SM&B in 2010, Jeff has focused his practice on the most challenging cases. Before his 35th birthday, he had already helped recover more than $1 billion on behalf of injured plaintiffs and is one of the youngest attorneys in U.S. history to reach this milestone.
Jeff handles cases against insurance companies, product manufacturers, rail operators, the maritime industry, trucking companies, construction companies, educational institutions, and other businesses that harm victims. He is regularly called upon for his ability to prove complicated issues of economic loss to ensure maximum recovery for his clients. Throughout his career, Jeff has played a lead role in litigating high profile national disasters including:
In addition to these mass disasters, Jeff has fought for compensation to help individual victims who have suffered catastrophic injuries and the families of those who have lost loved ones. His work on these cases has led to over 100 settlements or verdicts in excess of $1 million.
Jeff is regularly called on for his knowledge and experience beyond the Philadelphia area and has obtained multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts for clients in Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Florida, West Virginia, and the Virgin Islands. Jeff has been routinely recognized by his appears for his outstanding trial achievements, including being named as a Rising Star by SuperLawyers, a Lawyer on the Fast Track by the American Legal Media, and the Top 40 Under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers.
In 2016, Jeff became the youngest partner in SM&B’s history. In addition to being a partner at the firm, Jeff is also the Director of the firm’s Summer Associate and Law Clerk program where he helps supervise and mentor the next generation of great trial lawyers.
Honors & Awards
- 2020 The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40
- 2015-2020 SuperLawyers Rising Star
- 2018 Philadelphia’s Legal Eagles
- 2016 Lawyer on the Fast Track
The George Washington University
- Captain, National Mock Trial Team.
- Four-time All American in Mock Trial
- Three-time Region’s Most Outstanding Advocate
Temple University, Beasley School of Law
- First-ever first-year law student to compete on National Trial Team.
- Two Regional Championships, National Trial Team
- Two-time Region’s Best Advocate
- President, Moot Court Honor Society and won both of
- Two-time winner, Temple University’s Moot Court competitions
- Individual National Champion, Top Gun Challenge
(Over 50 awards, trophies, medals, and honors for his various trial advocacy accomplishments in college and law school.)
The awards and accolades displayed on this website were issued to the attorneys, or the entire law firm by the respective providers of these honors. No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Pennsylvania, 2010
- New Jersey, 2010
- US District Court for Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- US 4th Circuit Court of Appeals
- Temple University, Beasley School of Law, J.D., 2010
- The George Washington University, B.A., 2007