Lawrence R. Cohan
Lawrence Cohan’s practice focuses on toxic torts, chemical exposure, and mass tort cases. These include Asbestos, Benzene, Lead, Roundup, PFAS, other chemicals and other dangerous products. Larry’s practice also includes medical malpractice, pharmaceutical and medical device liability, class action, FELA, and other complex personal injury matters.
As a leader in many complex cases, Larry has forged new law in the trial and appellate court levels in Pennsylvania, New Jersey and Washington, D.C. Larry clerked early in his career for the Honorable Harry A. Takiff, helping the Court create the first asbestos mass tort program in the country in 1979. A few years later, he was lead plaintiff’s counsel when he worked with the Honorable George Kelton to create a similar program in Bucks County. Larry is presently on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Federal Court PFAS Water Contamination MDL (multi-district litigation) in South Carolina and is co-chair of the water provider litigation committee. Larry was Plaintiffs’ Lead Counsel for the MDL on the infamous “human tissue” scandal case. He also served on the Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Morcellator MDL in Kansas City, Kansas.
Larry has served for decades on boards of the Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Associations. He completed a term as president of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association, the oldest and largest local trial lawyer association in the country.
Larry has represented literally thousands of steelworkers, many who worked at USX in Bucks County, Pennsylvania for claims arising out of their lung disease, including mesothelioma, caused by exposure to asbestos. He also regularly represents victims of exposure to benzene, many of whom worked at local refineries, who are suffering from various forms of leukemia. Larry has handled toxic tort and environmental claims against major chemical producers, including Rohm and Haas, Honeywell, and Dupont. He has represented many individuals suffering from variants of Non-Hodgins Lymphoma caused by their exposure to Monsanto’s Roundup weed killer.
He served as Lead Counsel in the first and only “market share” lead poisoning case filed in Pennsylvania against the lead pigment industry, and also represented victims of a recalled robotic surgical device and the potentially deadly uterine morcellators.
Larry has obtained multimillion-dollar jury verdicts in toxic tort and medical malpractice cases in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. He obtained the first plaintiff’s verdict in an asbestos case in Bucks County, Pennsylvania, with the first verdict of its kind against asbestos “friction” product defendants GE, GTE, and Eaton Cutler-Hammer Corporation. Larry obtained a $7.4 million jury verdict in a groundbreaking mesothelioma case. He also testified before the Pennsylvania State House against proposed asbestos legislation which would have denied victims rights.
Larry represents victims suffering from rare vaccine injuries before the United States Court of Federal Claims in Washington, D.C. as part of the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, and has served on the Board of the Vaccine Injured Petitioners Bar Association. He is the co-chair of the American Association for Justice Vaccine Litigation Group. He has also lobbied with the Pennsylvania legislature on behalf of children injured by lead poisoning.
He is a Certified Trial Advocate with the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA), which promotes excellence in legal advocacy as the first American Bar Association-accredited attorney board-certifying agency in the world. Larry is a New Jersey Certified Civil Trial Attorney. The New Jersey Supreme Court designates certified civil trial attorneys, a rare designation to only a few lawyers based upon documented experience litigating and trying complex civil cases before a jury.
Larry has been recognized among the “Top 10” in the state multiple times by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers. He was also named among the Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania numerous times and has been included in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers publications every year since 2004. Larry has just been recognized as the top medical malpractice attorney in Philadelphia by Best Lawyers.
Larry received his law degree from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1979, where he served for two years as President of the Law School Environmental Law Group. He graduated summa cum laude with a B.S. from Boston University in 1976. Larry also completed an internship with the Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania. Upon graduation, he served in a two-year judicial clerkship with the Philadelphia County Trial Court’s Honorable Harry A. Takiff, who founded the asbestos litigation mass tort program.
Larry frequently writes and lectures about toxic torts, chemical exposure cases, medical malpractice, pharmaceutical, and product liability, and mass torts on both local and national levels. He has lectured for many bar and trial lawyer associations, frequently serving as Chair of those conferences.
Honors & Awards
- Named by Peers to the Top 100: 2022 Philadelphia Super Lawyers List
- Named by Peers to the Top 100: 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
- Named by Peers to the 2022 Pennsylvania Super Lawyers List
- Certified Trial Advocate with the National Board of Trial Advocacy (NBTA)
- New Jersey Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- Recognized among the “Top 10” in the state multiple times by Pennsylvania Super Lawyers
- Named among the Top 100 Lawyers in Pennsylvania
- Included in both New Jersey and Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, 2004-present
- Recognized as the top medical malpractice attorney in Philadelphia by Best Lawyers
- The Best Lawyers in America – Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions – Plaintiffs (2022-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs (2022-2023)
- The Best Lawyers in America – Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs (2022-2023)
The awards and accolades displayed on this website were issued to the attorneys, or the entire law firm by the respective providers of these honors. No aspect of these advertisements have been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- New Jersey
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, J.D., 1979
- Boston University, B.S., summa cum laude, 1976
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee in the Federal Court PFAS Water Contamination MDL (multi-district litigation) in South Carolina and co-chair of the water provider litigation committee
- Plaintiffs’ Steering Committee for the Morcellator MDL in Kansas City, Kansas
- Board member of the Philadelphia and Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Associations
- Former President of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association