Carmen Belefonte, the managing attorney of the firm’s Delaware County office (www.belefontelaw.com) in Media, Pa., is a personal injury attorney. He focuses on medical malpractice cases, premises liability cases, and professional liability cases in Pennsylvania.
With more than 40 years of highly successful and diverse trial experience, Mr. Belefonte has achieved numerous multi-million dollar results for Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky clients, including:
- $12 million life care plan settlement for a two-year-old boy who suffered brain damage due to an emergency room misdiagnosis
- Substantial settlement for two victims who died in an apartment fire caused by faulty electric wiring
- $2,000,000-Plus Malpractice Renders Paraplegic a Quadriplegic
- $1,000,000-Plus Traumatic Brain Injury Auto Accident
- $3,000,000-Plus Spinal Cord Injury Resulting in Paraplegia
- $1,000,000-Plus Fifteen Month Old Baby Death Case
- $1,000,000-Plus Fetal Death Case
- $2,000,000-Plus Permanent Injuries Due to Work Safety Issues at Waste Treatment Plant
Mr. Belefonte is a graduate of the University of Notre Dame and holds a law degree from the Dickinson School of Law at Pennsylvania State University (1965). Due to his high academic ranking at Dickinson, he was an editor of the Law Review and member of the Woolsack Honor Society. Before entering private practice, Mr. Belefonte served as a litigator in the U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps (JAG Corps).
In January 2006, Mr. Belefonte merged his highly respected Media-based practice with Saltz Mongeluzzi & Bendesky and is now the managing attorney of the firm’s Delaware County office.
In addition, Mr. Belefonte frequently lectures lawyers on effective trial advocacy.
He is also the solicitor of the Delaware Valley Regional Finance Authority and the Garrettford-Drexel Hill Volunteer Fire Company.
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Delaware County Bar Association
- United States Supreme Court, 1969
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court, 1965
- United States Court of Military Appeals, 1966
- Delaware County Common Pleas Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of
- Dickinson School of Law of Pennsylvania State University, J.D., 1965
- Woolsack Honor Society
- Law Review Articles Editor
- University of Notre Dame, B.B.A., 1962
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers (Former State Chairman of Pennsylvania)
- Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Delaware County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Bar Association: Investigative Panel Division of PBA Judicial Evaluation Commission (2008 – present)
- Chairman of the Delaware County Board of Elections
- Member of the board of directors of the Delaware County Chapter of Court Appointed Special Advocates (CASA)
Honors & Awards
Mr. Belefonte is considered one of Pennsylvania’s best medical malpractice attorneys and premises liability attorneys. He is a perennial member of Philadelphia Magazine’s peer-selected, top 5 percent Super Lawyers of Pennsylvania list. Nationally, in 2007, Mr. Belefonte was chosen as one of the top 500 personal injury lawyers in America by an independent survey group and Lawdragon magazine. In 2010 the Pennsylvania Association for Justice honored him with its President’s Award.
Mr. Belefonte is also the recipient of numerous awards, which include:
- E. Wallace Chadwick Memorial Award – Delaware County Bar Association
- Milton D. Rosenberg Award – Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Guy G. de Furia Inn of Court Award for Professional and Trial Advocacy Man of the Year Award, Lawyers Club of Delaware County
- Chairman’s Award – Delaware County Community Foundation 2013
- Recognition Award for Dedication and Service to Investigative Panel Division of the Pennsylvania Bar Association Judicial Evaluation Commission 2017
No aspect of the Super Lawyers advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.