As one of the leading Philadelphia-based medical malpractice law firms, SMBB has successfully handled hundreds of malpractice cases for our clients.
There have been amazing advances in healthcare during my almost four decades of practicing law, but patients have every right to expect competent care despite the rapid pace of change. When mistakes happen–whether because of the physician’s skill or a breakdown in communication among the various care providers–SMBB is uniquely positioned to figure out exactly what went wrong and obtain the compensation our clients deserve.
Michael F. Barrett
Medical malpractice happens when a doctor, nurse, hospital or other healthcare provider deviates from the recognized “standard of care” when treating a patient. The standard of care is what a reasonably prudent healthcare provider would do (or would not do) under the same or similar circumstances.
Many patients don’t even realize—or want to believe—that they have been victimized by completely avoidable medical errors.
SMBB’s medical malpractice lawyers handle cases across a broad range of clinical and treatment mistakes, including:
- Delayed diagnosis of cancer, serious heart conditions and other significant illnesses
- Birth trauma injuries—or death—to either mother or child
- Hospital negligence
- Drug prescribing and administration errors
In the past decade alone SMBB medical malpractice lawyers have settled more than $200 million worth of medical mistake cases for our clients.
Because doctors and hospitals seek to avoid negative publicity, they usually agree only to confidential settlements in malpractice cases. The numerous multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements we have secured include:
- $15,000,000 – Failed abortion resulting in child’s deformities
- $7,000,000 – Improper treatment of Group Home resident
- $6,600,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- $6,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis of throat abscess resulting in respiratory and cardiac arrests with brain damage
- $5,500,000 – Improper vascular surgery resulting in an AKA
- $5,200,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of neurological condition resulting in blindness
- $5,000,000 – Improper obstetrical care resulting in mother’s death
- $5,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- $4,400,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of subdural hematoma resulting in stroke and permanent neurological deficits
- $4,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of intracranial shunt blockage
- $3,500,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of sinus infection
- $3,500,000 – Delayed C-section resulting in newborn’s permanent brain damage
- $3,500,000 – Improper performance of partial shoulder replacement surgery resulting in death
- $3,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of pulmonary emboli
- $3,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of seizures in newborn, resulting in cerebral palsy
- $2,300,000 – Negligent spinal surgery resulting in Brown Sequard Syndrome
- $2,200,000 – Delayed treatment of cardiac arrest, resulting in death
- $2,200,000 – Improper performance of gastric bypass surgery
- $2,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of heart condition
- $2,000,000 – Improper respiratory care
- $2,000,000 – Delayed discovery of displaced tracheostomy tube
- $1,900,000 – Medication error resulting in child’s death
- $1,850,000 – Improper treatment of oral cancer treatment complication
- $1,800,000 – Improper back surgery
- $1,750,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of benign brain tumor resulting in permanent blindness
- $1,650,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of child’s infection
- $1,500,000 – Delayed C-section resulting in newborn’s permanent brain damage
- $1,300,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer
- $1,225,000 – Improper administration of Dilaudid resulting in death
- $1,200,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of spinal infection
- $1,130,000 – Improper epidural steroid pain injection
- $1,100,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of lung cancer
- $1,100,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- $1,100,000 – Improper OB care resulting in stillbirth
- $1,000,000 – Improper OB care resulting in newborn’s death
- $1,000,000 – Improper OB care resulting in newborn’s death
- $1,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of infection
- $1,000,000 – Improper surgery resulting in retained surgical instrument
- $1,000,000 – Improper IVF resulting in provision of wrong donor semen
- $1,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of bone cancer
- $1,000,000 – Improper performance of C-section resulting in hysterectomy
- $1,000,000 – Improper performance of D&C resulting in brain damage
- $1,000,000 – Improper epidural steroid pain injection
- $1,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis of displaced tracheostomy tube
- $1,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of H1N1 influenza virus resulting in death
- $1,000,000 – Improper podiatric foot surgery
- $1,000,000 – Delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- $1,250,000Through a $1.25 million dollar verdict, a Philadelphia jury sent the message that a doctor has a duty to follow up on the ordering of tests and ...Read Story
- $1,500,000A Montgomery County jury last Friday retuned a $1.5 million verdict in a medical malpractice case where a plaintiff alleged his doctors failed to ...Read Story
The SMBB medical malpractice team is led by partners Michael Barrett and Ara Avrigian who bring more than 50 years of combined experience to each case. They frequently travel the US to lecture and teach other lawyers how to handle malpractice cases.
Always working in teams, SMBB’s malpractice lawyers also rely on highly experienced consulting nurses and independent physician experts to determine precisely what went wrong in our clients’ medical care. These experts together with our lawyers:
- Exhaustively review all medical records
- Review hospital policies, procedures and protocols
- Investigate competencies of doctors and nurses
SMBB has pioneered the innovative use of high-tech visual tools–including illustrations, audio and video, animation and customized 3-D models–to reenact what happened. These powerful techniques are very effective in proving the case and convincing defendants to settle with our clients, and juries to award large verdicts if settlement negotiations fail.
Many of SMBB’s cases have served as wake-up calls to medical providers and are directly responsible for numerous improvements in hospital policies and procedures designed to prevent future mistakes. Hospitals, physicians, nurses, EMTs, pharmacies and other healthcare providers may all be liable in any given malpractice claim. SMBB’s lawyers work tirelessly to help you get all the compensation to which you may be entitled–including payments for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, past and future medical and rehabilitation expenses, lost income and future earnings.
If you or a family member has been injured from a medical or other healthcare error, or a family member has died as a result of medical malpractice, SMBB is committed to obtaining all the results you need and deserve.