SMBB has successfully handled some of the nation’s most significant burn injury cases.
Among the most painful and life-altering injuries, burns occur frequently in the workplace across a broad range of industries, and are a common result of vehicle accidents. According to the American Burn Association, each year:
- Nearly 500,000 Americans suffer burns requiring medical treatment
- 40,000 of those burn victims are hospitalized; and
- Over 3,000 Americans die from burn injuries.
SMBB represents clients who have been victimized by all of the major causes of burn injuries:
- Contact with hot objects
Serious burn injuries can occur in a variety of settings, including residential fires, car crashes, industrial accidents, and contact with high-voltage electricity while on the job.
Led by Robert J. Mongeluzzi, SMBB has secured numerous multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients, including:
- $16.5 million settlement for a millwright who suffered burns over 60 percent of his body when hot slag struck him inside a kiln in Lehigh County, Pennsylvania
- $11 million settlement for a steel worker who ultimately died after falling into a pit of molten metal and boiling water at a Claymont, Delaware steel plant
- $10.34 million settlement for an electrician who suffered serious burns during an electrical explosion
- $9 million for a worker who suffered devastating injuries when a piece of equipment he was operating struck a power line
- $36,000,000 – Montgomery County, Pennsylvania Apartment Fire
- $11,700,000 – Explosion Kills 3 Workers, Injures 8 Others
- $11,000,000 – Wrongful Death Suit
- $5,900,000 – Gas Explosion Injuries and Home Devastation
Bob has served on the Board of Directors of the burn survivor support group, The Phoenix Society.
- $5,800,000Mobile Dredging & Pumping Co. has agreed to pay $5.8 million to settle lawsuits filed in the wake of a fire in a Philadelphia steam plant -- one ...Read Story
- $10,340,000Two Philadelphia attorneys have secured a $10.34 million settlement for a Lehigh County electrician who suffered second- and third-degree burns ...Read Story
- $4,000,000A worker who was severely burned when his construction crew drilled into an underground power line in West Philadelphia has settled with PECO Energy ...Read Story
Burn injury cases are among the most complex and challenging–in part because critical evidence, such as the victim’s clothing, is often destroyed by the same fire or heat that caused the burns. SMBB’s highly experienced lawyers work hard to preserve any remaining evidence, and leverage their deep knowledge of federal OSHA regulations and state and local fire safety codes, to review all relevant documents such as safety data sheets and inspection reports. With the help of independent experts, we analyze the chemicals or combustible materials involved and conduct experiments to recreate what triggered the fire or explosion.
SMBB’s pioneering use of video brochures–mini-documentaries that powerfully illustrate our clients’ pain and suffering and include victim, family, witness and expert interviews and excerpts from the case’s depositions–often convinces defendants to enter into high-value settlements.
Property and business owners, manufacturers of equipment and protective gear, and third parties such as construction companies, and electric and gas utilities may all be liable for a burn injury. SMBB understands that painful burn injuries are difficult and costly to treat and typically require long term—or lifetime–therapy and care. SMBB can help you get all the compensation to which you may be entitled – including payments for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, medical costs, lost income and future earnings.
If you have been injured or a family member has been injured or killed as a result of a serious burn injury, SMBB is committed to obtaining all the results you need and deserve.