Kristen is widely-regarded as one of the Nation’s leading litigators in the field of sexual abuse and civil rights.
Kristen M. Gibbons Feden has proven herself to be fearless when fighting for survivors against high profile offenders and large institutions. Christened by the New York Times as “The Prosecutor Who Stared Down Bill Cosby,” Kristen is internationally recognized as a leading litigator in the #MeToo Movement. Nationally acclaimed as a fierce litigator, Kristen has represented numerous sexual abuse survivors in their pursuit of civil justice and received a multitude of awards for her tireless work with the most vulnerable survivors, many of whom were in their darkest moments when they sought her out.
While her, now famous, closing argument in the second trial of Commonwealth v. William H. Cosby put her in the international spotlight, Kristen has always been dedicated to fighting for victims of sexual abuse both in and out of the courtroom. Kristen began her work with victims as a prosecutor in Montgomery County, where she served as Captain of the Domestic Violence and Elder Abuse Units and member of the Sex Crimes Unit. In that role she successfully litigated scores of cases to verdict, including trials involving sexual and physical abuse, domestic violence, and homicide. While a prosecutor, Kristen received multiple commendations for her courtroom successes and efforts on behalf of survivors. By taking many cases to trial that others would not, Kristen demonstrated her dedication to survivors, time and time again.
Everyone has the right to equal justice in the United States.
Outside of the courtroom, Kristen provides a powerful voice for victims nationwide. Kristen uses her experience and training in law enforcement to passionately fight for people and groups who have suffered unfair discrimination by police or government. She is regularly called upon for expert commentary on high-profile matters by attorneys and international and national media outlets alike including CNN, CBS, ABC, Fox, NPR, and the BBC. Most recently, Kristen has offered commentary about the Derek Chauvin murder trial, for the death of George Floyd, one of the most important trials in our nation’s history.
Kristen has a rare mixture of compassion and killer instinct. A dream come true for her clients, a nightmare for the other side.
She has traveled internationally speaking out and fighting for changes in the law and in our societies’ understanding of the dynamics of sexual violence and the effects of sexual trauma on survivors. She has been recognized by numerous victim’s rights organizations around the country for this work.
Kristen is also a proud member of various Boards and Court Appointments, including being a Board Member of AEquitas, a national resource center for law enforcement investigating and prosecuting sex trafficking and other sex crimes; the Vice President of the Montgomery County’s Victim’s Services Center; and a Member of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court Criminal Procedural Rules Committee. Her expertise is also frequently called upon by various advocacy groups to present and provide keynote speeches. Feden is also an adjunct professor at the Temple University Beasley School of Law and occasionally teaches in the top-ranked Temple LLM program in Trial Advocacy.
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, JD
- Lafayette University, BS
- Board Member and Vice President of the Board, Victims Services Center of Norristown
- Board Member, Aequitas
- Trustee, West Chester University Foundation
- Fellow, British American Project
- Diversity Committee, Montgomery County Bar Association
- Women’s Ministry, Salem Baptist Church of Jenkintown
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity 2019 Class of Fellows
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Criminal Procedural Rules Committee
- Pennsylvania Supreme Court Subcommittees: Bail Reform, Pretrial Procedures, Juvenile Expungement Procedures
- Safer Streets Task Force
Honors & Awards
- Selected by The National Trial Lawyers as one of the top 100 Civil Plaintiff Trial Lawyers
- Safe Homes of Orange County, Family Justice Center Award
- Main Line Today, Women on the Move
- National Sexual Violence Resource Center, Visionary Voice Award Visionary Voice Award, Leadership Award
- The American Lawyer, Litigator of the Week
- The Legal Intelligencer, Lawyers on the Fast Track
- Philadelphia Business Journal, Top 40 Under 40
- Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office, Office Commendation Montgomery Township Police Department, Unit Commendation
- Upper Merion Police Department, Unit Commendation
- Victim Rights Law Center, Leadership Award
- Victim Services Center, Matty Muir Award
- Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Rising Star
- Panelist, “Becoming: Strategies for Success for Diverse Attorneys and Their Allies” for the Pennsylvania Bar Association – Young Lawyers Division: “Becoming” Series
- Panelist, Black History Month Fireside Talks – Diversity in Law
- Distinguished Speaker, “Criminal Justice in the #MeToo Era: The Cosby Prosecution” for the Law & Society: Charleston Law Review
- Keynote Speaker, “Fighting to be Fearless: Using your Strengths to Own the Courtroom” in the Trial Advocacy Consulting & Training – For Women By Women Virtual Trial Training
- Co-Presenter, “Pennsylvania Association of Justice – Measuring Damages in Civil Rights and Sexual Assault Cases”
- Keynote Speaker, “Bring Cosby to Justice: The First Conviction in the #MeToo Era,” at the Krimes Against Kids Conference held by the Florida Network of Children’s Advocacy Centers
- Presenter, “Discussing the Challenges of High-Profile Cases” at the Krimes Against Kids Conference held by the Florida Network of Children’s Advocacy Centers
- Panelist, “Identifying Risk, Managing Trauma and Assessing your Legal Rights during this Pandemic: A Panel Discussion”
- Speaker, “Prevention & Advocacy” with the Alabama Coalition Against Rape and Family Services of North Alabama.
- Presenter, Sexual Assault Kit Initiative Assembly of Cities
- Keynote Speaker, “Bringing Cosby to Justice: Investigating and Prosecuting High Profile and Cold Sexual Assault Cases,” Wisconsin Serving Victims of Crime Conference
- Speaker, “Bring Cosby to Justice: The First Conviction in the #MeToo Era,” National Sexual Assault Conference
- Speaker, “The Fearless Litigator: Navigating Media Attention on High- Profile Cases,” Law&Crime Network and the American Bar Association’s Media Training Program
- Speaker, “A Story of Survival: Commonwealth v. Cosby, Leading with Courage, Breaking through Barriers and Persevering,” Shabtai: The Jewish Society of Yale University
- Keynote Speaker and Presenter at the Northeast South Dakota Conference
- Presenter, “Fireside Chat with Kristen Gibbons Feden,” Pennsylvania Bar Association’s 26th Annual Commission on Women in the Profession Conference
- Faculty Presentation, “Closing Arguments,” Temple University Beasley School of Law LLM Program
- Moderator, “Implicit Bias,” Montgomery County Bar Association
- Keynote Speaker, “Moving Beyond: We All Have a Voice,”Lafayette College
- Panelist, “Everyday Activism: Stepping Up and Showing Up,” for I Will Not Be Quiet
- Keynote Speaker, “Leading with Courage, Breaking Through Barriers and Persevering,” Chamber of Commerce of Greater Montgomery County
- Special Presenter, Minority Bar Association, Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Speaker, “The Ultimate Act of Power & Control: Overcoming Common Defenses in Domestic Violence Homicide Cases; Commonwealth v. Cosby – Bringing Cosby to Justice: The First Conviction in the #MeToo Era; and Seizing the Opportunity: Cross-Examination of the Defendant in Current & Cold Cases of Sexual Assault,” Crimes Against Women Conference
- Panelist, “Bringing Cosby to Justice: The First Conviction in the #MeToo Era,” 10th Annual Criminal Law & Forensics Conference
- Presenter, “Credibility in the Law: Handling Allegations of Sexual Harassment and Assault,” Greensboro Bar Association CLE Seminar
- Panelist, “The #MeToo Movement’s Impact on Litigation, Counseling and Training,” Philadelphia Bar Association CLE Program
- Speaker, “How Society Considers Sexual Assault Cases,” Shabtai: The Jewish Society of Yale University
- Panelist, “Managing Your Work and Life Balance Part II – How I Can be a Judge/Lawyer and Still Have a Life?” Montgomery Bar Association Women in Law Committee CLE Program
- Speaker, “Prosecution of Bill Cosby and the Importance of His Case in the #MeToo Era,” Evercore Wealth Management Wise Women Event
- Panelist, “Time’s Up. How to Create Non-Complicit and Zero Tolerance Culture,” S.H.E. Summit
- Panelist, “How Race Matters in the Adversary Process,” Tucker Law Group CLE: Standing on the Shoulders: The Black Philadelphia Lawyer
- Speaker, “Sexual Violence, Harassment and Prevention Tactics and Techniques,” University of Pennsylvania Bloomers Comedy Alumni
- Presenter, “Using Expert Witnesses,” Aequitas’ Expert Witness Testimony Training with the Pennsylvania Coalition Against Rape
- Presenter, “The Global Child Abuse Epidemic with a Local Solution,” NALS of Pennsylvania 54th Annual Conference
- Speaker, “Opening Remarks,” Laurel House 5K DASH Against Domestic Violence
- Panelist, “Domestic Violence Town Hall,” Montgomery County Courthouse