SM&B has successfully represented hundreds of spinal cord injury victims in cases arising from a wide range of circumstances, including construction accidents, workplace injuries, vehicle collisions, defective products and medical malpractice. The leading causes of spinal cord injuries include falls, vehicle accidents, and being struck by or against objects.
Spinal cord injuries are some of the most devastating injuries that we encounter in our practice. We make sure that negligent corporations are held responsible for the destruction they cause and compensate spinal cord injury victims for the millions of dollars they almost always require for future medical care.
Andrew R. Duffy
Spinal cord injuries involve a traumatic injury to the critical nerve distribution system of the central nervous system. Spinal injuries affect sensory, motor and reflex capabilities and, in the most severe cases, cause paraplegia, tetraplegia, or quadriplegia. Even less severe spinal cord injuries can have an impact on a person’s ability to control their limbs, motor skills, bowels and bladder.
According to government and insurance industry statistics, as many as 350,000 Americans are currently suffering from the effects of a prior spinal cord injury, and nearly 17,000 new spinal cord injuries happen in the US each year.
SM&B’s has secured numerous multimillion-dollar verdicts and settlements for our clients suffering spinal cord injuries, including:
- $75,000,000 verdict for a highway construction worker who was left quadriplegic after he was struck by a drunk driver and thrown more than 100 feet
- $26,500,000 settlement for a lawn care worker who was paralyzed after being thrown from a pickup truck in a single-vehicle accident
- $12,000,000 settlement for a roofer who was left quadriplegic after falling 40 feet
- $10,000,000 settlement for a construction worker left paralyzed after injuries that occurred while erecting a pallet rack
- $8,900,000 settlement for a worker who was partially paralyzed when a mobile office unit crushed him
- $8,500,000 settlement for worker who suffered from spastic paraplegia as a result of being struck in the head by scaffolding
- $8,000,000 mid-trial settlement for a framer who fell 18-feet on a residential construction project
- $7,900,000 settlement for a carpenter who was left paralyzed after a three-story fall
- $6,100,000 settlement for a construction worker left paralyzed after a joist collapsed during demolition
- $8,000,000A Brazilian man who was paralyzed from the waist down after falling 18 feet from the house frame he was constructing will be paid $8 million in a ...Read Story
- $12,000,000A roofer who was paralyzed from the neck down after a 40-foot fall will be paid $12 million to settle his suit against a general contractor that ...Read Story
- $8,500,000A man who suffered a traumatic brain injury and spastic paraplegia from a work accident will be compensated $8.5 million as a result of a settlement ...Read Story
With decades of experience litigating spinal cord injury claims, SM&B is on the short-list of personal injury law firms using the latest methods to develop the evidence needed to maximize recovery in these complex cases:
- We exhaustively investigate what went wrong and who is responsible.
- We engage nationally-recognized neurologists, neuropsychologists and neurosurgeons to determine the extent of our clients’ injuries and their long-term prognosis.
- We create innovative video brochures that powerfully depict in a “mini-documentary” format our clients’ pain and suffering and include excerpts from victim, family, witness and expert interviews and defendant depositions. These vivid films are often a major factor in convincing jurors to award high-dollar verdicts and defendants to agree to high-value settlements.
SM&B has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for its clients devastated by spinal cord injuries. These cases often have multiple defendants: construction companies, contractors, property owners and managers, product manufacturers and motorists may all be liable. SM&B understands that spinal cord injuries are complex, costly to treat and often require lifelong care.
We cast a wide net for potential liable parties and then work tenaciously to obtain for our clients all the compensation to which they are entitled, including damages for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, past and future medical costs, lost income and future earnings.
If you have been injured—or a family member has been injured or killed—as a result of a spinal cord injury, SM&B is committed to obtaining all of the results you need and deserve.