SMBB has extensive experience handling cases involving defective motorcycles. The national motorcycle accident statistics are startling:
- Although there are nearly 9 million registered motorcycles in the US, they account for only about one-half of one percent of the total vehicles miles driven.
- Even with that small share of the nation’s traffic, motorcyclists make up 14% of the total vehicle crash fatalities and 4% of the crash injuries.
- The fatality rate for motorcyclists is six times higher than the rate for car and truck drivers.
This inherent risk of serious injury or death, however, should not be increased by defects resulting from poorly designed or maintained motorcycles.
SMBB has successfully represented clients who have been seriously hurt or died as a result of motorcycle design defects and negligent motorcycle maintenance. Our motorcycle cases have covered a broad range of the most common design and maintenance issues, including:
- Gas caps
- Antifreeze reservoirs
SMBB has secured a number of multimillion dollar verdicts and settlements in motorcycle cases, including:
- $2,650,000 settlement for motorcyclist permanently disabled in collision with commercial vehicle
- $725,833 verdict for motorcyclist blinded in one eye in accident with car making left turn
Motorcycles must be designed to protect the men and women who ride them every day. When they prove to be unsafe, SMBB’s lawyers rely upon their advanced, in-depth knowledge of motorcycle safety codes and regulations, industry standards, analogous products, and the relevant patents and designs. They also:
- Uncover records of prior accidents and assess previous safety tests
- Utilize leading independent industry experts, including motorcycle designers and engineers, as consultants and witnesses
Designers, manufacturers and sellers of poorly designed motorcycles, as well as the dealers or repair shops that perform shoddy maintenance, may all be liable for injuries and accidents. SMBB works tirelessly to help you get all the compensation to which you may be entitled—including payments for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, past and future medical expenses, lost income and future earnings.
If you have been injured, or a family member has been injured or killed, as a result of a defective motorcycle, SMBB is committed to obtaining all the results you need and deserve.