A medical accident during prenatal care or delivery can result in death or serious injury to both mother and child. These tragic incidents occur due to negligence involving:
- Poor prenatal care of either the mother or fetus
- Mistakes made during delivery and childbirth
SMBB has extensive experience representing birth injury victims in a range of medical malpractice scenarios, including:
- Babies who die or suffer severe brain damage due to lack of oxygen
- Mothers who fail to receive a timely caesarean section and hemorrhage to death due to a ruptured uterus
- Mothers who suffer severe brain damage from anesthesia mistakes during delivery
- Infants who survive negligent prenatal care or delivery, but suffer from neurological problems, seizures, cerebral palsy and learning difficulties
Because doctors, hospitals and other healthcare provider defendants want to avoid negative publicity, they usually only agree to confidential financial settlements. SMBB has secured numerous multimillion dollar settlements for our clients in connection with birth injuries, including:
- $15,000,000 — Failed abortion resulting in child’s deformities
- $5,000,000 — Improper obstetrical care resulting in mother’s death
- $3,500,000 — Delayed C-section resulting in newborn’s permanent brain damage
- $3,000,000 — Delayed diagnosis and treatment of seizures in newborn resulting in cerebral palsy
- $1,875,000 — Delayed C-section resulting in death
- $1,500,000 — Delayed C-section resulting in newborn’s permanent brain damage
- $1,100,000 — Improper obstetrical care resulting in stillbirth
- $1,000,000 — Improper obstetrical care resulting in newborn’s death
SMBB’s lawyers work together with experienced neonatal nurses and independent physician experts to:
- Exhaustively review all medical records
- Review hospital policies, procedures and protocols
- Investigate the competencies of all doctors and nurses involved in our client care
SMBB’s medical malpractice lawyers have also pioneered the innovative use of high-tech visual tools—including audio and video presentations—to reenact how the injury or trauma occurred. These powerful techniques are very effective in proving our clients’ cases and convincing defendants to settle with our clients (or if settlement discussions fail, convincing juries to award large verdicts).
Hospitals, physicians, nurses and other healthcare providers may all be liable for a birth injury. SMBB will work tenaciously to help you get all the compensation to which you may be entitled—including payments for pain and suffering, emotional trauma, past and future medical expenses, lost income and future earnings.
If you or a family member has been severely injured as a result of negligent prenatal care or delivery, or a family member has been killed by such malpractice, SMBB is committed to obtaining all the results you need and deserve.