“In a medical malpractice practice, every client that comes in is having an upsetting, really terrible time in their life. We always respond with a sense of empathy, sympathy and patience.”
Michael F. Barrett
Michael Barrett is one of the preeminent medical malpractice lawyers in the Philadelphia region and across Pennsylvania.
- $6,600,000A Philadelphia jury yesterday awarded more than $6.6 million in damages to ...Read Story
- $1,800,000A 12 member Philadelphia County jury returned a $1.8 million verdict late ...Read Story
- $1,250,000Through a $1.25 million dollar verdict, a Philadelphia jury sent the ...Read Story
- $1,500,000A Montgomery County jury last Friday retuned a $1.5 million verdict in a ...Read Story
- $1,000,000A diabetic man who fractured his foot and later had to have a ...Read Story
- $1,000,000In January 1992, Sandra DeMarco Guida fell and injured her left knee at ...Read Story
During Michael’s almost 35 years of practice at the Firm, he has amassed an impressive record of achieving multimillion-dollar results for clients in some of the most complex and technical types of medical professional and products liability claims, including birth and obstetrical-related injuries, delayed diagnosis, prescribing errors, and medical device design defects.
I always knew I wanted to be a courtroom lawyer and advocate for normal people–not big institutions. I’ve always felt a connection to the underdog in every aspect of my personal and professional life.
Some of Michael’s recent results for clients, include:
- $15,000,000 for a failed abortion that resulted in the child’s deformities
- $7,000,000 for the improper treatment of a group home resident
- $6,600,000 for the delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
- $6,000,000 for the delayed diagnosis and treatment of a throat abscess resulting in respiratory and cardiac arrests with brain damage
- $5,500,00 for improper vascular surgery resulting in an AKA
- $5,200,000 for the delayed diagnosis and treatment of a neurological condition resulting in blindness
- $5,000,000 for improper obstetrical care that resulted in the mother’s death
- $5,000,000 for the delayed diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer
Leading an experienced team of lawyers and paralegals (including some with prior careers as healthcare professionals), Michael’s overarching goals are to tirelessly represent his clients to maximize their compensation and to make the healthcare delivery system safer for all patients.
I have seen amazing advances in medical care over the years, but the victims of malpractice demonstrate what happens when things move at a rapid rate. With our skill and resources, the cases we handle identify the cracks in the system, and hopefully ensure that healthcare providers do a better, more careful, job in the future.
As one of the prominent members of the medical malpractice bar, Michael lectures on a regular basis to groups of practicing lawyers, law students and other professionals on personal injury law, handling delayed diagnosis cases, and the selection of juries and expert witnesses. His peers have recognized his achievements by voting him a Top 100 Super Lawyer in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania, and by electing him to serve as President of the Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association.
- Top 5 percent Super Lawyers of Pennsylvania 2004-Present
- Top 100 Super Lawyers in Philadelphia and Pennsylvania
- Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in America, Best Lawyers (the US legal profession’s oldest peer-review publication)
- AV-Preeminent Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Top Rated Lawyer, Medical Malpractice Law, Martindale-Hubbell
- President’s Award, Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- New Jersey
- New York
- District of Columbia
- National Board of Trial Advocates
- Certified Civil Pre-Trial Advocate
- Certified Trial Advocate
- Supreme Court of New Jersey
- Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- The American College of Trial Lawyers
- University of Pennsylvania, magna cum laude
- Villanova University School of Law, JD
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Vice President
- Board Member
- Hearing Committee Chairman and Senior Hearing Officer, Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
- Member, Board of Governors, Pennsylvania Association for Justice
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Co-Chairman, Medico-legal Committee
- Chair, Brennan Award Committee
- Member, Board of Directors, Philadelphia Bar Foundation
- Co-Chairperson, State Civil Litigation Section
- Group Captain and Master, Villanova University School of Law Inns of Court
- Vice President, Board of Directors, Louis D. Brandeis Law Society Foundation.
- Member, Board of Trustees, Har Zion Temple, Penn Valley, Pennsylvania
- “If You Ever End Up in Court – Basic Trial Principles for Non-Trial Lawyers,” CLE Presenter for Montgomery Bar Association Real Estate Committee, September 5, 2019 (upcoming)