Ben Baer is a personal injury attorney who focuses on helping catastrophically injured clients. He has successfully handled cases involving construction and workplace accidents, auto and crashworthiness accidents, aerial lift tip overs, electrical accidents, and defective or malfunctioning products. Ben has obtained significant seven, eight, and nine-figure verdicts and settlements, with recoveries totaling nearly $200 million for his clients.
In 2018, Ben was a vital part of the team that obtained an unprecedented $160,000,000 record settlement for individuals burnt and killed in the Philadelphia Food Truck Explosion. The tragedy was caused when an over-filled propane cylinder ruptured. Flames shot more than 200 feet into the air. One individual represented by Ben and SMBB received more than $69.17 million. This is the largest individual pre-verdict settlement in the history of Pennsylvania state court.
- Aerial Lift/Scissor Lift Accidents
- Products Liability
- Electrical Injuries
- Workplace Accidents
- Structural Collapses
- Crane Accidents and Tip-Overs
- Construction Accident & Injury Attorneys
- Brain Injuries
- Trucking Accidents
- Wrongful Death
- Vehicle Accidents
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Industrial Accidents
- Victims of Crimes
In 2016, Ben was instrumental in securing what was at that time, the largest reported settlement for a single plaintiff in the history of Philadelphia County. Ben fought diligently for his client, a landscape worker who was rendered quadriplegic after an auto accident because those responsible for maintaining his work truck failed to remove dangerous tires. The case resulted in a $26.55 million recovery.
Ben also represented the family of a two year old child who was tragically killed after falling into an animal exhibit at the Pittsburgh Zoo. This case received both national and international media attention. It resolved confidentially.
Ben has been named to Pennsylvania’s “Top 40 under 40” by the National Trial Lawyers Association. Membership into the “Top 40 under 40” is by invitation only and is extended exclusively to an elite group of the top trial attorneys who exemplify superior qualifications as a young trial lawyer. Ben has also been recognized as a Rising Star in the annual Pennsylvania SuperLawyers ratings. This peer-selected honor is reserved for the top 2.5 percent of all Pennsylvania attorneys under 40 years old.
After graduating with honors with an LLM from the nationally-ranked Temple University Beasley School of Law Trial Advocacy program, Ben was invited to join Temple’s faculty. He currently lectures in the program and teaches both JD and LLM students.
Certifications and Licensures:
Ben holds his Powered Access Licensed-Registration (PAL) from the International Powered Access Federation (IPAF) as a Certified Operator of Mobile Vertical Lifts (3a) and Mobile Boom Lifts (3b). Ben is also a Certified Forklift Operator who has received his OSHA 29 CFR 19120.178 Forklift Operator Qualification and Certification. Obtaining multiple certifications to operate heavy machinery has allowed Ben to better represent his clients injured by aerial lifts and forklifts.
- Pennsylvania, 2007
- United States District Court of Pennsylvania, Eastern District, 2013
- United States District Court of Pennsylvania, Middle District, 2013
- Temple University Beasley School of Law, LLM, 2016
- Honors Graduate
- University of Pittsburgh School of Law, JD, 2007
- John P. Gismondi Civil Litigation Certificate, 2007
- University of Michigan, BA, 2003
- American Association of Justice
- Pennsylvania Association of Justice
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association
- Future Leaders Executive Committee
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Brandeis Law Society
- Pennsylvania Top 40 under 40 by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Pennsylvania SuperLawyers Rising Star
- Winner of the Murray S. Love Mock Trial Competition and recognized as the tournament’s best advocate.
- CALI Award winner as the top overall student in Advanced Trial Advocacy
No aspect of the Super Lawyers advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
- Assistant District Attorney, Philadelphia District Attorney’s Office
- More than 15 jury trials as lead counsel and hundreds of bench trials in both Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas and Municipal Court
- Prosecuted major felony crimes including shootings, stabbings, attempted murders, robberies, kidnappings, and other violent crimes.
- Clerk, Honorable Ralph J. Cappy, Chief Justice of Pennsylvania Supreme Court
- Certified Aerial Lift Operator
- Passed written examinations and practical testing on both mobile vertical scissor lifts and mobile boom lifts.